This week, I walked into school one morning, my arms full of teacher books, lunch box, teacher bag etc. As I was walking past the kids' bathrooms, a little 2nd grader (not my student) came out, bleeding from his mouth and crying. I asked, "WHAT HAPPENED??" and was getting ready to go into Mom mode. He told me a sob filled story that made no sense because the words were not distinguishable. I thought I heard "needle" but wasn't sure. I called him by name and said, "tell me again, but slow down. what happened?" He told his story again, with little use of his tongue and therefore, little use of my brain in understanding. As he finished up, I heard, "dared me...." and then the principal walked up with a glass of water and told the boy to go back in the bathroom with him. Ahhh...great, my boss was already on the case and I was relieved of duty! As I was turning away to go to my room, I realized that the "labo" I was rolling over and over in my mind, with question marks attached, was really "flagpole".
Yes, an older kid dared him to lick the flagpole and he had. As I approached my classroom, I was smiling. No, I don't think it is funny, but can you believe that kids STILL do that??? Didn't this boy ever watch 'The Christmas Story"? I felt terrible for this little guy and yet, I do hope he learned his lesson to NEVER, EVER take a dare!
Poor kid! I didn't realize that would make them bleed. OUCH!
ReplyDelete