Monday, April 6, 2009

Morning memories

This morning on our trip to school, my kids were remembering lunches of the past! Jess gets braces tomorrow and we were talking about making protein shakes at school if her teeth hurt, which is what started the conversation. Cody recalled how grandma used to bring him shakes to his old school..and he misses that. His pain tolerance is such that he doesn't hurt when his braces get tightened. Or...maybe it is just his bigger need for food that overcomes the pain!!??

Jess said she loved when Aunt Shari brought lunch to the old school...warm tortilla pizzas, chopped up cucumbers with salt, in a ziplock....Ahhhh, yess!! Cody recalls the same yummy food and chocolate milk.

And then Cody remembered Grandma bringing him lunch. Sandwiches on homemade bread and homemade banana cake. They both agreed that Grandma should still drive the 25 miles to bring them lunch at school. I laughed at that! What do you think, Mom??!!I think Fridays or Saturdays might be an option.

They both laughed at the prospect of asking Aunt Shari to bring lunch. While they think she should, they realize a 4.5 hour drive might hamper her efforts. Maybe during basketball camp?

I love memories. You always wonder which moments will be etched into your kids' minds. I love then they reveal those. I remember Grandmother making the BEST cinnamon toast ever!! Mom's was never as good. Of course, Grandmother's had about a tablespoon of butter and a cup or so of sugar and cinnamon!! I hold my memories so close to my heart and they are comfort to me in crazy times. I love that we are built that way!

1 comment:

  1. I read this the other day but didn't take time to switch browsers so I could comment. Loved it. It's quite often memories that our kids connect the most on right now. I love to hear them talk about the past and try to help each other remember just how it was. And Grandmas? they make some of the best memories. (Wonder if they keep their recipe in there with the ones for cinnamon toast?)

    ReplyDelete