Saturday, February 14, 2009

Spiritual high and low

I've really liked thinking about what Paul said in the last chapter of I Thesselonians. He was encouraging his brothers and sisters who were going through some tough times.

13Live in peace with one another.
14.... encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
15 See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.
16Rejoice always;
17pray without ceasing;
18in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

We studied this last week and I have reflected on it all week. If we lived like this, can you imagine what a different place the world would be? If I..just me..lived like this, what a different world mine would be!

(I highlighted these words for me, not you. When I read those words, it is like balm and encouragement to me. )

I saw "the mirror" this week that showed me ugly. I saw weak faith and I didn't like it. I pray for my students. This week, I was desperately broken for/by a child in my school. I cried. I prayed but interrupted myself with the thought, "How can God protect them all? There are so many who are in bad situations. Will my prayers matter?" I felt empty, desperate, hurt, wanting control....I still am wrestling with this but it won't stop be from praying. I need to remember to pray for the grownups too...

So..that was the high point and the low point, spiritually, this week. I hope yours was a good one.

Leave me a comment...let me know you're here.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for these reflections, M. I love your heart... keep praying. I feel like I don't have any idea of what some kids face every day.

    (I'm having trouble with embedded comments from my browser so we'll see if this works. For some reason the codeword doesn't load??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this chapter last week. My thoughts had been on having peace toward others. I ended up on the verse about having patience with all men. Obviously that is what I am needing. So glad we have a patient God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of Joseph in the bottom of a pit that was made for trapped animals, looking up as his brothers divided his things and left him utterly alone. I think of his years of slavery, imprisonment and suffering - all because of the actions of his brothers. And yet all of this was to put him in a place where he was useful, and he was a soul that God could trust with that kind of burden. It's hard not to question why bad things happen, why others or even ourselves suffer, but I try to remember that even in suffering, God can create joy and peace and bring us to a place of usefulness.

    I love that you care so much about your students, Marlene, and I know that they are flourishing because of it.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was on my heart this past week as well.

    If I truly knew who God was, would I have any doubts that my prayer was being heard and that God could do exceeding abundantly above all that I ask or think?

    May God bless you and those in your family and school and neighborhood with whom you are privileged to show and tell of the Father's love.

    LaRon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouraging thoughts and bread for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete