In Bible study today, we talked about how keeping a prayer journal helps us praise God for what He does because we see answered prayers. I think this little thankfulness journal, though only weekly, has a similar positive impact on me. I find myself realizing, much more often, the many millions of things I am blessed with.
71. I am thankful for renewal. Last week, I was flat, today, I am thankful and full of happiness and hope.
72. I am thankful for friends who love my other friends just because of a common connection.
73. I am thankful for uncomplicated, simple moments.
74. For the de ja vu emotions that stir in my heart when I walk into my house and smell dinner cooking in the crockpot. Childhood memories of a warm home, loving parents and safety. Ahh...I hope my kids feel that too.
75. For Betty the hen who decided to set on eggs in September. She's in my classroom letting my students experience nature, a mother's crazy dedicated love!! It amazes us all how she can sit on eggs for three weeks, barely getting up for food and water. God doesn't make mistakes! And Betty is allowing me to subtley take God to school!
76. I am thankful for the last few fall evenings on the porch swing. I have come to love my porch after dark...millions of stars in an unclouded, country sky...emotions shared by words, by silence, by hugs. Moments with my husband, my daughter, my son...or just alone with my own thoughts.
77. the smell of citronella candles and the sounds of dogs snoring...the river rushing in the distance..the elk bugling..the coyotes calling their friends...Im thankful for after dark and the closeness to nature. It has all become so familiar and yet so precious.
78. for Mom's banana bread. It is the cinammon toast of my youth, to my children. No one's tastes as good and a loaf never stays wrapped for long once Grandma sends it over. Grandmother memories are often the reserve in my fuel tank on tough days. I'm glad my children can get their fuel tanks stocked. They'll need it someday.
79. for old hymns. My daughter singing along in the back seat. "Jesus keep me near the cross...." "Amazing Grace" " Oh Lord, my God, as I in awesome wonder....." Touches my heart today like it did when I sang it out of the Reader Digest songbook the day after my friend's funeral when I was 16.
80. For those moments so long ago that still impact me. For friends, like Jacqui, who still desire to share our lives because of those childhood bonds. Proof that moments matter and friendships last.
81. I'm thankful for Sunday. For worship, for encouragement, for newness. For not needing to feel what it is for anyone else, but knowing God knows me and loves me. It overwhelms me because I am so insignificant and small and yet I matter to Him.
Have a great week! Thank you for sharing a few moments in my life today.
You just made me very hungry and long for my past....love the porch swing and snoring dogs. I wish we had a porch swing here, we do have two snoring dogs though :)
ReplyDeleteGreat list.
Love #80. Also love banana bread! :)
ReplyDeleteYou sound like such an amazing mother!
ReplyDeleteI love reading everything that you are Thankful for. It reminds me to be more thankful myself.
ReplyDelete