Sunday, August 9, 2009

Faith because of His works

Yesterday, we came up on an accident in the middle of nowhere. Other cars passed by but I stopped. The experience changed me. The man rolled his 3 day old truck, which contained his life possessions. His wife of 40 years was divorcing him and he was on a journey to live with his brother. He was under the influence of prescription drugs and/or alcohol. We spent about 1.5 hours at the crash scene. I left with a broken heart for this man but also for a world that he just represented...a world full of pain and heartbreak.

Sure, he made some bad choices. So have I. My sin is no less than his. He probably has an addiction. I also have crutches I turn to in crisis...sometimes food, sometimes anger, sometimes isolation, sometimes work. I come from an addictive ancestry. I am human, just like he is.

I was the one who chose to stop. I guess it could be say that I helped him. However, that isn't how I see it. I believe God put this man and this situation in my pathway to change ME. I believe God has done that to me several times. What visibly looks like me helping someone is really that person making me grow, spiritually.

There's Matthew....if you know me, you know Matthew. I love that boy though my heart has been broken so much for him. Sure, I helped him, but I believe God's real purpose was for me to grow in Him. There is Gary, the man we bought a truck from who deeply touched and humbled our family. There is William, my student who made me cry time and again last year because he represented a world of children without childhoods....and others I believe God has sent to change me.

Today we were studying James 2. I am just thankful that my works are useless to God unless they are guided by Him. I am also especially thankful God continues to show me MY faith by HIS works in my life. All I do in my power is of nothing.

These lessons hurt. My heart aches for my stranger-friend. I pray for him. I pray for him to know God, in a personal way. I will never know...but I know God knows and that is enough. It was never about building a church, it was about saving souls. I'm glad the agenda hasn't changed.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to your last 2 sentences.


    I do pray that this man finds peace and comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wise and good person.
    It takes much to think and believe like that, and more to live it.
    I try too, it isn't always easy. But then I try again.
    Thanks for your kind words to me btw.
    Sorry it took so long to get back here.

    ReplyDelete