Friday, May 7, 2010

The state of education

Thanks to a government with backward priorities, 16 people lost their jobs in our district the last few days. That doesn't tell the whole story either. More people took pay cuts and programs were lost. No elementary PE, art, or computer. (Music was lost to budget cuts in previous years). I have this mental vision of little white memorial crosses across the district. Eight were from my building.

I worry about the future of education. Sure, there were districts that needed cuts. In my opinion, most districts are heavy in administration. However, the real people suffering in our district are the children. We lost some priceless treasures.

It is easy to complain, sympathize and complain some more. If you have the opportunity, contact your lawmakers. This is a national trend, it seems, to cut education. Even if you homeschool, remember that not everyone can do that. Advocate for our children.

Yes, I'm on a soapbox again. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Marlene, I am shocked that your district would make such short-sighted, damaging cuts to your educational programs. I'm sickened to think of those elementary school kids without art, music, and P.E. I am so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. art music and pe are the things that Clayton enjoys the most in school. I can not imagine them taking those away.

    ReplyDelete