Friday, June 12, 2009

Do you ever feel like a stupid mom??!!


This is my son's finger.
In April, he was playing catch with a football with his Dad. The ball hit his finger, he jumped around and said, "ow" and then said he was fine and kept playing. That evening, he came into the living room with a bandage the size of Texas wrapped around his index finger. We gave him GRIEF!! We all had a good laugh. I dug out a finger splint and he wore it for a week or so. He even played his sax in state band competition!! We've all jammed our fingers, right? A right of passage of growing up. Nothing more thought of it. He didn't complain.
About a week ago, I noticed the joint was still swollen and was bent instead of straight. He hadn't complained...I hadn't noticed. He said yeah, it still hurts if I try to lift something but no big deal. I took him to our family doc yesterday and they x-rayed it. Today the call comes that he needs to see a hand surgeon!!! A bone in the knuckle is broken.
Moral of the story...if your child jams a finger, pay attention, remember to look at it and if it isn't healing correctly after one week, go to the doctor!! Little kids show you their boo boos on a daily basis and remind you of the pains. Somewhere, some how, there is this change where they don't. Beware!

1 comment:

  1. OUCH!!!!! What a bad place to break!

    keep us updated. I am mother-sitting my mom, she had surgrey on her foot last week.

    BTW, I love the flowers at the top of your blog.

    ReplyDelete