
Meet Miss Betty...she is a hen from our henhouse who came to live in my classroom this month. She decided to set, even though it is fall. I should have known she had mental problems just by that...but no...
Jerry candled the eggs for the kids and they could see the living, moving chicks! SO FUN!! We enjoyed having Betty in the classroom as we marked off tally marks and awaited for day 22....which was this past Wednesday. Thursday morning, there was a crack in an egg but I didnt' tell the class. Jerry came up to the the school and, thankfully, looked in on Miss Betty while my kids were out of the room. She had pecked open the hatching egg and killed the baby!!!! HORRORS! He took her home for the weekend and I promised to bring back chicks. We didn't tell the kids about the murderous hen, just used the excuse of needing to look out for the newborns over the weekend.
I am so mad at Miss Betty! Here I had her in my classroom and she was homicidal! I really should have had a background check done first. I wasn't thinking.
Once home, she abandoned her nest. Last night, Jess and I tucked some hatching eggs under our shirts and kept them warm. I claimed labor and asked for backrubs and footrubs but it didn't work. Hummmphf.
Last night at about 11:00, baby one emerged completely. Baby two emerged later. 3 and 4 are peeping and pecking in their eggs.
Jerry candled the eggs for the kids and they could see the living, moving chicks! SO FUN!! We enjoyed having Betty in the classroom as we marked off tally marks and awaited for day 22....which was this past Wednesday. Thursday morning, there was a crack in an egg but I didnt' tell the class. Jerry came up to the the school and, thankfully, looked in on Miss Betty while my kids were out of the room. She had pecked open the hatching egg and killed the baby!!!! HORRORS! He took her home for the weekend and I promised to bring back chicks. We didn't tell the kids about the murderous hen, just used the excuse of needing to look out for the newborns over the weekend.I am so mad at Miss Betty! Here I had her in my classroom and she was homicidal! I really should have had a background check done first. I wasn't thinking.
Once home, she abandoned her nest. Last night, Jess and I tucked some hatching eggs under our shirts and kept them warm. I claimed labor and asked for backrubs and footrubs but it didn't work. Hummmphf.
Last night at about 11:00, baby one emerged completely. Baby two emerged later. 3 and 4 are peeping and pecking in their eggs.

the sweet little babies this morning.
Jess and I are fine though famished and feeling a need for extra rest, after the long labor! (ha..yes, I am being silly.)
So that is Miss Betty's story. She may be arrested but I'm betting she'll get psychiatrict care instead. Insanity, you know. Post partum depression? Who knows. I'm just glad I have some chicks to take back to school!
Jess and I are fine though famished and feeling a need for extra rest, after the long labor! (ha..yes, I am being silly.)
So that is Miss Betty's story. She may be arrested but I'm betting she'll get psychiatrict care instead. Insanity, you know. Post partum depression? Who knows. I'm just glad I have some chicks to take back to school!

Or maybe you could give your class an old fashioned lesson on chicken soup... "from scratch"...
ReplyDeleteAtleast you have babies to take in! I am waiting for those chicks to start following you around the yard. After all you are the only momma they know......Just be glad they are not ducks.....swimming lessons could get pricey! :)
ReplyDelete